Thursday, July 7, 2011

Week 2 of EDU 651 - Wiki's, blogs and twitter

So this week we learned about wiki's, blogs and twitter.  Although nowadays wiki and twitter are staples in our everyday speech I really did not know much about them until this week.  Up until now I had been content with my blog that consisted of only photos and my Facebook profile for keeping in touch with my friends.

Wiki's
Did you know that wiki is actually short for the Hawiian wiki wiki which means easy? (Richardson  55).
It turns out anyone can create a wiki about anything - like a blog.  The difference is anyone can read and write and edit a wiki. How great for class collaboration?

Twitter
I still have not quite gotten the hang of Twitter yet... It is less likely that I will use it in my class as opposed to blogs and wikis.  I think my first tweet actually was posted multiple times because I could not tell how to see if it went through or not.  I think I will need to ask some of my students to show me how they use it.  Sometimes our students or people who have grown up with more technology can come up with ideas to use it that would have never crossed my mind.



Richardson, W. (2010). Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks: Corwin Press. ISBN: 9781412977470

No comments:

Post a Comment