Thursday, July 7, 2011

Week 3- Teachers and Facebook


This week we are talking about Facebook and where do we draw the line as teachers.  This is a debate that has been going on for a while and continues to cause heated arguments amongst people.

Some think a teacher should be fired for friending a former student who is graduated and over the age of 18.

Some teachers think its okay to friend all of their current students.

Where is the line and how do we know when we have crossed it?  Should it just be up to administrators or the school board of that particular community to decide?  Our assignment this week was to read an  Article about a teacher who was suspended after making a Facebook comment about her school.


After doing discussion posts this week, I found a great article that I have shared below that pretty much sums up how I feel about the subject. An article every educator and administrator should read

I personally believe that with Facebook, as with everything else that we do, that we just need to use some common sense and be professional about it.  I personally am not friends with students current or former on Facebook, but I still am able to utilize Facebook by communicating with students through theatre groups we have set up.  On the group page I can post links, schedules and answer student questions in a much more efficient manner than calling every student, sending passes for them or waiting until our next club meeting.  At the same time, they cannot see my profile and personal info and I cannot see theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment